Friday, April 6, 2012

Wash MY feet??

2The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus. 3Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist.
When He died on the cross, He was wearing only a garment or 'towel' around his waist.I mean, I know it says 'outer' clothing, and maybe this means nothing. I dunno, just a thought I had as I read that.

5After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

6He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

7Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
We often don't know why our lives go the way they do, or why God 'lets' certain things happen to us. We should listen to these words whenever we are unsure about a situation at hand, or doubt that a certain circumstance has any purpose besides making us miserable. I'm sure the disciples were very perplexed, and had no idea whatsoever how Jesus's treacherous death could have in any way been positive. Faith, hope, and trust, all must have been tested amongst so many followers. How in the world could any good have come from that suffering? ...we didn't realize then what He was doing...but now we do.

8“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”

Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
So much humility on so many levels. Jesus, the Son of God, Master...is washing the feet of His disciple, His student [discipulus means 'student' in Latin btw]. Wow. I mean, we look at Peter's response and think "sheesh, you're telling the Son of God what He will and will not do?" But what if you or I was sitting there. Would you have no problem with sitting, getting your feet washed, by Jesus? What if He came up to you right now, quietly knelt down, removed your shoes and multi-colored socks, and...washed...your...feet. How would you respond? I know I would be like Peter and protest. I'm so unworthy! -but only with my dirty feet. I am unworthy because they are SO dirty...but Jesus doesn't grimace. He doesn't make a face at the smell. He doesn't rush to find the nearest germX. He kneels down at my feet...and washes them. They are no longer filthy.
So why aren't we, the disciples, washing Jesus's, our Master's, feet? because they aren't dirty. They don't have a speck of dust on them. Well, that is until...until our dirt and filth has accumulated to Him, once he is there taking that dirt, filth, and blood away from us. He washes the dirt from us, by taking it on Himself.

9“Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”

10Jesus answered, “A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” 11For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.
Jesus, I've betrayed you. Please drench me with your living water and cleanse me. Head to toe. Peter may have asked, but he did not need it because he was clean. I am not. And although I know am not worthy for you to cleanse me, you still do...and then I am worthy to be in your presence- to have a part with you.

12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place.
After He finishes cleansing us of our filth...he returns to His place. At the right hand of the Father.

“Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. [we Disciples aren't so quick ;) ]  13“You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.[*Thaddeus raise his hand* "ooh! ooh! how about we make these rainbow bracelets that say WWJD? Get it? as in What Would Jesus Do? it'd be like- I'm walking, and then I see this guy whose having troubles with his donkey, and I can look at my bracelet and be like BAM! WWJD?" *Thomas rolls eyes* "I doubt that will ever catch on."]
 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.
This last line really made me think. I didn't get why Jesus said,"I tell you the truth" as in, 'I kid you not'..."no servant is greater than his master..." I thought, I've got to be missing something, because my first reaction is "duh!" but you never say "duh" to Jesus...nothing He ever says is obvious enough to us humans to give Him that response. So why did He have to mention it? Well, I put myself back in the unworthy position of Jesus washing my feet...at that point...He- The Master- was serving me. ...uh...okay to be honest I thought I had something but now I forgot and am all confused again. But there is one thing I noticed...previously He said "You call me Teacher" which would imply that they the disciples, are the students (which again, is simply the translation of 'discipulus' in Latin).Then He says: "no servant is great than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him." Well, the word 'apostle' translates from Greek 'apostolos' meaning "one who is sent away."  Therefore, the translation is "emissary" which we then get from Latin 'ex' "from" and "'mitto' "send". We then simply make the translation of 'messenger.' So when Jesus said, "nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him" I think Jesus could have very straightforwardly been meaning the apostles to Him. But...I guess I figured that anyways, so that boring tangent really didn't get me anywhere. I'm tired. I'm not ending this in some summary in attempt to make you think. I'm just clicking publish, closing this post, closing the screen, and closing my eyes.
-no matter how awkward it may be- let Jesus wash your feet...But then...try your best to keep them clean...wear flip flops in the locker room and such...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Love it like a panda? Want to strangle me with words? TYPE HERE.

Random Posts